As education, learning and teaching all grow to incorporate new meanings, educators must constantly grow and reshape their ability to create the most inclusive, interesting and effective classroom possible. Contemporary literature and practical knowledge suggest that a student-centered environment is the best way to achieve this end.
At the end of program, participants will be able to:
- Clearly explain the importance of a student-centered classroom
- Explain the various methods through which a teacher can promote a student-centered classroom
- Demonstrate the various methods through which a teacher can promote a student-centered classroom
- Employ effective classroom management strategies which support student centered learning environments
- Communicate effectively with students about how to ensure that they take full-advantage of the student-centered classroom
- Create, implement and assess student-centered assessment materials
Lecturers, teachers, trainers, and administrators in educational institutions who are directly or indirectly involved in the teaching and learning environment.
Module 1 – What is a Student-centered classroom
- What does it look like?
- How is it organized?
- Who runs the class?
- What are the challenges with implementation?
- Painting a clear picture of student-centered classrooms
- Showing clear examples of student-centered-classroom techniques
- Establishing the Teacher’s role as Facilitator
- Coping with a new style of teaching
- Releasing in order that your students may own their learning
- Allowing students to make mistakes
- Providing positive feedback
Module 4 – The Students’ Role in the Student-Centered classroom
- Keeping Learners Occupied & On-task
- Building confidence in your students while using student-centered approaches
- Encouraging learners to share
- Reinforcing the importance of student-centered practices to students
- Identification of specific student-centered techniques as presented by peers
- Real Time demonstration of student-centered techniques and strategies with peer feedback
TRAINER PROFILE - DAVID FINGEROTE
David began his career teaching in Southern California. Since moving to Asia in 2006, he has focused on increasing his professional skill-set while staying abreast of the latest trends in education, training, management and effective leadership. Having taught all age levels and all abilities within Ministries of Education, private and international schools and corporations in South Korea, the Philippines and Malaysia has reinforced David’s belief in the importance of continuing education with an emphasis on lifelong learning.
Training Experience & Accomplishments
David has extensive and broad experience in working with English Language learners of all skill-levels, ages and abilities. He is particularly interested in helping clients build their confidence where writing, reading, listening and speaking are concerned. For the past 10 years David has trained and educated: executives, public servants, educators and students.
The last four years have found David in Malaysia working with the Ministry of Education and international corporations focused on language education and training. David is known for his ability to inspire confidence in all learners and his willingness to adapt to learner realities while enforcing appropriate input.
For the past 10 years David has trained and educated executives, public servants, educators and students. The last five years have found David in Malaysia working with the Ministry of Education and international corporations. A focus on transformational leadership, effective management, clear & concise communication, presentation skills and general language education and training are all included under organizational and soft skills training. Research for the Ministry of Higher Education is the most recent inclusion to services provided.
As a direct result of his focus on institutional and individual needs and realities, David is known for his ability to inspire confidence in learners and satisfaction in organizations. All of this results in custom-tailored input – topics, information, techniques, strategies, feedback, etc. – which your participants and organization can use to absorb, adjust, implement, evaluate and reflect, internally.
Areas of Experience / Expertise:
Ministries of Education, Public/International/Private Education:
Increasing Student Talking Time
Anticipating and coping with change (internal & external)
Effective communication within departments
Orientation of New employees
Creating a sharing environment (teachers and students)
Observing, evaluating & providing constructive feedback to colleagues
Implementing systems to streamline processes
The Importance of on-going assessment and how to implement it
The Importance of Routines
Creating and Implementing Rules & Consequences
Multiple Intelligences (Awareness & Teaching to)
*Adjusting in real time
Managing Processes while Leading People
Identifying and Harnessing individual areas of competence
Creating Trusting Environments
Sharing Environments: Relying on One Another
Teluk Intan: Hutan Melintang: Public Primary Schools
Taiping: Batu Kurau: Public Primary Schools
Lenggong: Public Primary Schools
LMS: PPD, JPN
Sepang: Public Primary Schools
Kuen Cheng High School
Foon Yew High School, Kulai
Ministry of Education
Korean International School of Manila
ELSi language schools